The life of a runner, mother, radiopharmacist and vicar's wife – that's me!

No service 

I went to Cardiff yesterday. It took 4 hours to get there through some beautiful countryside on the English/Welsh border. Unfortunately, most of the time my iPhone screen showed this message.


It would appear that anybody living in that part of the UK is going to have a pretty tough time getting a phone signal. I blame the stunning countryside.

 The best parts of which, as usual, I failed to capture because I wasn’t quick enough putting the camera on. 

This lack of signal was a tad problematic as I had decided to use my time profitably in study. Unusual I know but I was in that sort of mood. 

I needed to access the Internet to get the pdf file with the suggested answers to the exercises about old people. I was nearly in Cardiff by the time I got hold of the file.

More importantly though, it meant I couldn’t write the blog!! Shock, horror.

Our visit to Cardiff was without excitement. Somebody did buy me a fruit flapjack and a cup of tea though! 

This is what I travelled 4 hours to see.


It’s an isolator for preparing sterile injections such as chemotherapy, antibiotics and, in my case, radiopharmaceuticals – although this one doesn’t actually have any shielding so we’d all get irradiated. If we buy one, it will have lots of shielding. 
I finished the study module during the 4 hour trip back. I now know more than I previously knew about old people. Did you know, for example, that your renal function is only half as good by the time you are in your 70’s or 80’s than it was when you were young? There are also a lot of older people out there who are completely isolated having nobody to visit them. No relatives and nobody who pops in to see them. I think we’ve lost a lot of our sense of community as a nation and that’s a bit sad. 

I had left my bike at Hamilton Square in Birkenhead in the morning. I was pleased to find it was still there on my return.

This morning, despite the rain, I once again made my way to Hamilton Square on my bike. When I went to get a ticket they said “Sorry, there are no trains!” Bit problematic when I was planning to catch the train to work.

No Service – again. Different sort of no service though.

Apparently there was a fault on the river bed. I didn’t want to stand around waiting for them to fix it so I cycled home again. I was very wet by then so I had to get changed, get in my car and drive to work. At least I got in some early morning exercise – can’t be bad even though it was 6:30, I was meant to be at work and I got quite wet. I haven’t run though.

It was meant to be the hottest day of the year. In Liverpool it was raining – a lot.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


This entry was posted on June 26, 2015 by and tagged , , , , , , , , , , .
%d bloggers like this: